January 16, 2010

Shame on Me!



This has pretty much been my attitude since the holidays ended. I can't figure out why I'm so NOT motivated to do much of anything. Maybe it was the sub-zero weather and snow that we had for over a week and is now gone, or maybe I've contracted SAD. Who knows, but I'm back!

Tonight Monsieur Titi has another ping-pong championship and is going with a friend. Said friend will be staying overnight here and sharing lunch with us tomorrow.

I made this yummy dessert for lunch. I call these "Orangies" because they are like brownies only made with pumpkin purée (homemade!), chocolate chips (US import!) and walnuts (AOC noix de Grenoble -- s'il vous plaît!)

I've been hording this package of chocolate chips for 2 months. I bought them from My American Market and have been saving them for just the right occasion.
You can't believe how frustrating it is to not be able to buy chocolate chips here! I have to buy a tablet of cooking chocolate and then cut it up into tiny pieces with a knife or in the food processor. This is not ideal because I wind up with various sizes of chips and lots of chocolate dust. Plus, the chocolate melts into the cake rather than staying whole like regular chips do.


Les Noix de Grenoble A.O.C. are walnuts that come from Grenoble (south-eastern France, not too far from the Alpes and from Lyon.) I wrote about them here if you want more information.

They are always so moist and never bitter. There are rarely bad or shriveled nuts either.






The finished Orangies, cooling, so they can be cut into squares.

Keep scrolling to see the recipe.








Orangies

2-1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt

2 cups pumpkin purée (homemade if possible)
1 cup butter (softened)
1 cup brown sugar or sucre vergeoise
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract

2 cups chopped walnuts
2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375°F or 185°C. Butter and flour a 9x13" pan (I used an 8x11 because that's all I have.)
Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together into a bowl.

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy, mix in eggs and beat well. Then mix in pumpkin and vanilla. Slowly add flour mixture to butter/pumpkin mixture. When slightly blended, add in chocolate chips and walnuts. Fold thoroughly.

Bake for 35-45 minutes. In my oven it took 34 minutes because I have ventilated heat. Test with a toothpick or skewer. Let cool and cut into squares.

9 comments:

Jackleen said...

Dedene, I know what you mean about NOT being motivated. We were not able to get choc. chips here either till recently. They have started selling them here, but I haven't tried them from here yet because I brought enough from the States. The "Orangies" look so good.

Jo said...

Mmm, these Orangies look super. You are an AMAZING cook/baker, Dedene. I never knew that ordinary chocolate melted in the recipe and that is why choc chips are better. I've signed up to Expat women blog since your last post about them so you have motivated ME to do something. (lol!) Enjoy your yummy dessert. (((Hugs))) Jo

Erin P said...

Those Orangies sound and look delicious! It's good you can get the chocolate chips but the current price is $7.61US. I can see why you save them for special occasions (I would have been hovering over the oven the whole time, afraid to burn them, too!)

I think we all go through high energy and low energy times...it's natural to be low key after the holidays. We need to recover!

Jeanne said...

Why do people have to post yummy looking things just when I finally face the fact that I'm getting too fat to even fit into the up-sized clothes I bought last fall? Making a mental note, so that when I'm less of a heifer I can come back to this post....

Habebi said...

Next time you need chocolate chips let me know and I will gladly send you bags of that yummy must have on hand when baking stuff. Your Orangies look amazing! I would've never thought to use pumpkin, but, there you go!

Dominica said...

I wish you were my neighbour ....

lakeviewer said...

Dedene, the recipe is inspirational.

Shanster said...

Oh that sounds DIVINE!!

the american frog said...

I am still just not motivated either! But I am having soooo many problems with my blogs. I have to find someone to get it sorted it out!