July 25, 2011

Prunes

I've been lazy as an old slug lately. I'm sure the rainy, grey weather has something to do with it. I've got to figure out someway to get some of my energy back. But really, 55°F in mid-July just isn't fair!!! Because of this stupid rain, running has been difficult and unpleasant. I'm going to have to get used to running in the rain if I want to have an activity this winter.

I learned that my gym professor had a stroke, at 45! She had 2 operations and is starting to recognize her family, but I doubt if she'll be giving gym classes in September. It's awful. It's called an AVC in French which stands for "accident vasculaire cérébral". Anyway, it scares the bejeezus out of me.

But on to the subject of this post: PRUNES! Prunes are plums in French. Dried plums, aka, prunes are called pruneaux in French. I've had quite alot of prunes around lately. They're in season right now. So I made one of my favorite tartes and tried my hand at making jam.


As for making jam...  It turned out kind of runny but I didn't want to put alot of sugar in it.  Monsieur Titi tried some at lunch and made a swinched-up face because the jam is sour. But he's the one who doesn't want to eat anything too sweet. I won't bother explaining how I did it because it's not really very good.

As for the Tarte aux Prunes. This recipe always turned out great. It's easy and can be adapted for several kinds of fruit. You might enjoy trying it.




Here's the recipe:
Tarte aux Prunes

Ingredients:
One pre-made pie crust; I use a pâte sablée or a sweetened crust

20-25 ripe and ferm prunes (plums)
Plum jam
8 Palets Breton or other crunchy-type vanilla cookie
Brown sugar
25 grams of almond powder

Preparation:
Heat oven to 180°C (360°F)
Cook the crust empty for around 12-15 minutes, follow instructions on the package.

During this time, wash, and cut the plums in two, take out the pit and place them in a dish.

Spread evenly the plum jam over the bottom of the crust, like this ... I'm not sure of the amount but you don't want a ton of jam, just enough to cover the bottom.



Then crust the palets brétons in a plastic bag with a rolling pin and spread them evenly over the crust.


Then place the plums, bottom side up, on the crust. Squeeze them in nice and tight. Pour in any left-over juice in the dish. Cover with brown sugar and the almond powder.


Cook approximately 35 minutes until bubbly and brown. Enjoy!

15 comments:

Jean said...

This looks like a super easy recipe - I have a packet of French ready-rolled pastry so I will give this a try.
Shame about the jam. I made jam of various kinds for the first time last year and was a bit squeamish about the amount of sugar in it - but it did taste yummy and set quite well. And only Bon Maman jars will do !!

Bienvenue chez French Girl in Seattle... said...

So sorry about your bad weather-- a pattern I am all too familiar with! You are very brave to try and make jam. I have never attempted it myself. Veronique aka French Girl in Seattle

Jo said...

Hi Dedene I LOVED the expression: swinshed up face! So descriptive! When I make jam, I use 750g of sugar to every 1kg of fruit (the fruit is cleaned, peeled in necessary, like peaches and cut up accordingly) You can add a couple of drops of squeezed lemon juice and bring to the boil. No water and keep the lid off, scoop off scum as you go along. The jam will set beautifully. To test this you place a saucer in the freezer, and when you think the jam is almost done, remove saucer and add a little of the syrup. When you pull a spoon through it, a small channel should remain. There you are. A jam making session and you didn't even ask for it! LOL. Thanks for your visit. I have finally finished all my cooking and my husband is getting beans on toast for dinner! Have a great day, hope the weather dries up. (((Hugs))) Jo

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

I have been making masses of plum jam and plum sauce but this tart looks fantastic. The problem is I am on my own again and a whole tart will take me ages to eat alone :-( Next year... Diane

Samantha Vérant said...

Oooh! your tarte is much fancier than mine! Looks incredible!

Dedene said...

Thanks all, the tarte is really good.
Jo, I can count on you for giving me good instructions for all sorts of things!

Rachel Cotterill said...

We have loads of plums at the moment - some nice ones, and then some little yellow ones (just a bit bigger than cherries) which are pretty tasteless. I have to think of ways to use them all up!!

Rob-bear said...

I haven't had desert yet, and you put this tarte in front of me!
Ce n'est pas juste!

claude said...

Triste nouvelle pour ta prof de gym.
Personne n'est à l'abri de faire un AVC à n'importe quel âge.
La meilleur prune pour faire une tarte et même des confiotes, c'est la Reine-Claude.
Hier, notre hypermarché présentait des produits des Antilles. J'ai acheté des jus de fruits que l'on ne trouve pas normalement en Métropole et un pot de confiture de bananes. J'y ai goûté ce matin. Ben, je trouve que celles que je fais ton bien meilleures.
J'ai chanté de navigateur et n'ai pas toujours sur certain blog le traducteur google.
Tu devrais le mettre en marge sur ton blog, especially for me !!!
Bises.

Craig said...

Your plum tart looks ultra yummy Dedene.

Jenners said...

That is horrible about your gym teacher!!! Scary when you hear stuff like this!

And if I gave you some of our "extra" degrees, we'd both be comfortable.

By the way, I'm just back from vacation and trying to get caught up on your blog but I'm only going to leave one comment so I manage to get caught up someday! Amazing how many posts bloggers can write in a week!

Barbara said...

Hi Dedene,
I think that the "crabby club" has a large membership this summer...
What can you do? Just fins something and keep busy.
Hehe... that "sour face", I see with my hubby if I don't put enough salt in a particular dish!
I still think that people can be "fortiche" showing crabby facial expressions in France! :)

Nadege said...

Dedene, I thought you might enjoy this http://www.mercotte.fr/ I have so many blogs (all not on my list), I spend hours in front of the computer; between watching the live webcams from Africa, emails and blogs... I had to put weights next to my desk so I can exercise while watching the screen. Tammy http://www.laviecevenole.blogspot.com/ has some good recipes too.
I am so sorry about the young gym teacher. What a shame!

mich said...

Ma Cherie, I was just thinking about you today, how funny that you should leave me a comment on the very same day. Your page is killing me, I forgot momentarily how good the food is where you live. I love you header, btw.
I am doing well, in spite of what life is throwing at me. You sound good, too. Here's a tidbit just for you: when I first moved to France, I was obsessed with the word "bisou". I just thought it sounded really cool, and kept saying it (drove my kids nuts). Anyway, it was really nice to hear from you.
Love and lollipops, xo d

diane said...

Honey, that last comment (from Mich) was me. I just got home from work and forgot to switch off cute hubby's account. xo d